Sunday, September 20, 2015

Reason A Colburn

My fourth great-grandfather, Reason A. Colburn was born 4 September 1836 in Alabama. His parentage is thought to be John Colburn and Susan Blankenship, but I have not found any proof of this relationship yet.

On 8 February 1859, Reason married Elizabeth Catherine Wyers. Together, they had at least the following children:
  • James A. Colburn
  • John H. Colburn
  • Jerrie L. Colburn
  • Nancy Kizzie Colburn
  • Thomas J. Colburn
  • David L. Colburn
  • Mary M. S. Colburn
The more I look into this man, the less I think I know about him. There seem to be several men with the name of Reason Colburn living in Alabama around the time he was. There was my fourth great-grandfather, there was another man about the same age who married a Polly Ann Carter, and there was a man born about 1805.

At least one of the Reasons served in the Confederate States Army in the Alabama Infantry. My ancestor fought (at least) with the 40th Alabama Infantry, Company D, according to his tombstone. There are also records for a Reason Colburn serving with the 28th Alabama Infantry, Company A. While the services in both units spans similar timelines, the two have gaps in places the other helps to fill. So there is a possibility the same man served in both companies.

More work will need to be done to completely rule out my Reason's involvement with the 28th Infantry, but I'll leave that for another post.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment