Sunday, August 23, 2015

Jessie A. Brissey

A couple of weeks ago, on my blog for my own personal family, I wrote a post about my fourth great-grandfather, Jessie Ambrose Brissey. I did not discuss his service in the Confederate States Army though, aside from what was mentioned in his obituary. In this post, however, I hope to feature his time in the War.

First, I'll give you a little background about him.

Jessie was born on 11 April 1842 in Greenville County, South Carolina. He was one of at least nine children born to Charles Ambrose Brissey and Frances Louise Smith. He married Permelia Frances Rogers on 28 February 1860. According to his obituary, they had 11 children.

Just a few months after my third great-grandmother was born, Jessie enlisted in the 16th South Carolina Regiment. He enlisted on 27 November 1861 at Camp Hampton with Lieutenant Colonel J. S. Preston. He initially signed on for a period of 12 months. He ended up serving at least through August 1864.
Clipping from Service Records
His service record is actually pretty boring to review. During the entire time he served, he was never wounded or sick in the hospital, something that was mentioned in his obituary. As a result, every single card in his service folder says "present." Coupled with the fact that he never got promoted, that doesn't make for a very exciting read.
Clipping from Service Records
His obituary states that he "served continuously in every battle that his company went into." This made me want to see what kind of battles in which his company participated.

According to one website featuring the 16th SC Infantry Regiment, the Regiment was present at Adams Run (near Charleston), the defense of Wilmington, the defense of Charleston, the defense of Vicksburg, the Tennessee Campaign of 1863, the Atlanta Campaign, Hood's Tennessee Campaign of 1864, and the defense of the Carolinas. I don't know much about any of these campaigns, so I hope to start working my way through each of them in the near future. I'll save those details for another post though.

RELATED READS:
SOURCES:
  • 16th SC Infantry Regiment
  • Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina (accessed on Fold3)

No comments:

Post a Comment